Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Plan

Our first large production will be "Much Ado about Nothing" Shakespeare's comedy about love and mistaken identity, it's lighthearted and familiar enough without being too familiar. I didn't want to do a play that most people have seen live like Romeo and Juliet because it is our debut and I think we should represent fresh, exciting, and accessible!

We will not perform until next summer 2010 because well....it's Shakespeare and to be REALLY REALLY good -- we should take our time. I want to start with a couple of read-throughs and improv sessions in which we will do the scenes with modern language. We will Not perform this way however. (Shakespeare's works are meant to be done using his words not my interpretation of them)Because we will be taking so long to prepare the show, rehearsals will not be very imposing of your time. I'm also hoping that we can perform scenes in schools. If we are able, perhaps we can add a production of A Christmas Carol before hand.

I know it is a long time to ask people to stay committed and if you can't, I would suggest that you wait to audition when we cast extras in the spring. I can not offer pay, but I can promise you will have a great time. This is the only time I expect to have such a duration. If all goes as planned in the future we will do two plays each summer -- a comedy and a drama -- and maybe even progress to more contemporary works.

For the first production it is at the moment bare-bones. Not unlike Shakespeare's time our set will be our surroundings. (This may change depending on grants.)

If the company has merit we stand a chance of having funding and becoming part of the community theater. Doing Shakespeare fills a market that people will watch, it's intelligent theater and it's a blast to do!

No comments: